Sunday 28 March 2010

State of the pavement outside Queens Road Shops

Sometime ago I, together with local residents, organised a petition that asked Sefton council to take action to improve the state of the pavements outside the shops at Hesketh Park Mansions on Queens Road.

I have spent the last 4 years trying to get something done to improve this frontage however the key stumbling block to any action is the fact that this frontage is NOT owned by Sefton Council and as a result the Council has no responsibility to maintain it.  I have written to the managing agents of this area on a number of occasions to ask for a commitment from them to undertake work and despite receiving written confirmation that something would be done there has still been no action.

I have also done some research into possible legal routes available.  One possible avenue was case law set in the case of ..... When responsibility for the maintenance of a track was established to lie with the local authority since the track was shown to be a public footpath.  Unfortunately this case law cannot be applied to the frontage of Queens Road shops since this area does not meet the specified definition of a public footpath i.e. a defined and clearly visible single path which has been used by the public for a period of 20 years or more.  Since people walk in many different directions across this frontage, I am told by the senior solicitor for the Council that this the area cannot therefore be classed a public footpath.

Needless to say I am very disappointed with this and as a resident of the area, I know from first hand experience just how dangerous this frontage can be especially when icy.

Despite this latest set back, I want to reassure you that I will continue to fight on your behalf to get something done here.  I am also aware that the junction of Queens Road, Park Road and Park Crescent is very busy and potentially dangerous and again is something which I am working with the Council on to get some improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment