Tuesday 18 May 2010

Back from Birmingham



Its been a pretty frantic fortnight and to tell you the truth I'm only just getting my head around the idea of the Liberal Democrats being in coalition government with the Conservatives.  I've had a number of conversations with senior party officials and from what I can gather it was the only option open to us as a party.  Labour, I am told by our negotiators, had no intention of working with us to form a government and to be honest we had said that we would work with the party that had the largest mandate and although not overwhelming that was clearly the Conservatives.

I do have some concerns regarding the spending cuts and the impact these may have on residents in Southport but with Vince Cable MP and David Laws MP batting for the Lib Dems, I hope that any action taken will not be a knee jerk reaction.

Anyway with that in mind I went to Birmingham on Sunday to the "Special Conference" and am pictured with other representatives from Southport including local party chair Nigel Ashton.

The feeling at the NEC was electric and despite concerns of splits in the party and hostility to the leadership this just did't happen.  Andrew Stunell MP, Vince Cable MP and Nick Clegg all received standing ovations from the gathered party members.

No comments:

Post a Comment