Saturday 17 July 2010

Samphire in Southport

I was on the beach this week and one thing that struck me was the site of Samphire growing so abundantly on the beach near to the Pier.  In fact, I believe, Southport has become a bit of a destination in terms of Samphire harvesters who are taking to our shores in droves armed with sharp knives and black plastic bags.

Samphire is an edible plant that grows on the edge of salt marshes and beaches click here for More information on Samphire. Samphire is now back in vogue as a very health addition to the diet and I believe it is very popular in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine.

But I have a person interest in Samphire or as we usually call it Sampi.  It was the basis for my first entrepreneurial adventure.

My Mum and Dad loved the stuff and so it was an annual event to trek to the very edges of the salt marsh with my father to harvest the Sampi. But one year when I was about 10, I had an idea on the long march to Sampi plains.  Why not harvest extra and then sell it to the old folks so that's what we did.

Any good business enterprise needs staff so I rounded up some friends and convinced my father of the benefit of a second trip out on the salt marsh. Now you have to understand getting out to the edge of the salt march was a job in itself since the salt marsh is made up of lots of gullies many of which need to vaulted over but such was my belief that I would make a million - not so bad on the way out but coming back was a bit more challenging when loaded with the bags of Sampi but I urged everyone on with tales of the fortune we would make. So home we came and set into production - washing, boiling and bagging the plant.  Then off we went to market - like the old fashion hawkers plying our trade down the highways and bye-ways of the villages.  At 50p a bag we were soon sold out.

Well I didn't make a million but for a first business venture I didn't too bad as I was able to afford getting all my workers a lolly ice for their effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment