Wednesday 20 October 2010

Girls, Football and Politics

The role of football mum is becoming one I am switching to more and more often, as my daughter plays football for three teams with matches almost everyday - its just a good job she's the goalie - although washing the kit is becoming a bit of a chore.

After one match this week, which I had supported rather enthusiastically from the sidelines, my daughter proudly announced that she was going to be on the school council.  My ears pricked up and seeing an opening for an election edition of a FOCUS leaflet, I was keen for more details. So I asked rather casually if, in fact, there would be an election for the positions and what things will she would like to be  responsible for.   My daughter looked at me sideways and replied "Responsible for Mum - I'm going to be the chair so I can tell everyone else what their responsibilities should be"

Some people, who know me, may say like mother like daughter but I prefer to think this exchange shows very clearly that girls are keen to get involved in politics and campaigning - the question is how do we keep them involved?

No comments:

Post a Comment