Friday 1 October 2010

Musings of a football (& rugby) mum

When I first got involved in politics my children were very young and so it was easy to find a baby sitter (usually my brother) all I had to do was give them a kiss and put them to bed. Then lipstick on and away I went merrily to council, community or local party meetings.


I naively thought, that, as the children got older the need for babysitters would be reduced and things would be easier.  How wrong I was. I am now a fully fledged football (& rugby) mum and all that this role entails - coach, taxi driver, catering manager, laundry operative, provider of hugs and the teams biggest fan.




The interesting point here is that this group of women (aka as soccer or hockey mums) are recognised as a politically significant category in their own rights in the USA and now being a fully fledged member of this group I can understand why. These people are generally  the lynch pins of the family, time management is a way of life, together with diplomacy and advanced driving.  Politics for these women is very real and this should be recognised by campaigners and politicians alike.


By the way - the lipstick before meetings bit the dust many years ago now I'm lucky if I remember my reading glasses !

No comments:

Post a Comment