Tuesday 5 October 2010

Newsnight and the parallel universe

I think I must have entered some sort of parallel universe last night whilst watching Newsnight.  There I was, merrily watching Paxman doing what he does best, when up popped Conservative MP Phil Hammond  arguing the case for the removal of child benefit.  Then in response to a challenge by Polly Tonybee, Hammond moved swiftly onto the steps the government had already or planned to take to help the low paid and children in deprived areas.

Then, like one of those slow motion delays, as I began to open my mouth to shout at the telly that these were Lib Dem policies, my brain re-engaged and I realised that yes indeed these are our Lib Dem policies but we are part of the coalition government.

Now I know I know this - I was at the conference in Liverpool but even so it is still taking time to sink in and I can't believe I am the only one who keeps forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment